Failure to Diagnose Bowel Cancer

Bowel cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed every year and screening tests have been introduced to improve detection, which does improve the outcome if the cancer is diagnosed early on.

Being told you have bowel cancer is extremely upsetting and distressing and you will certainly have many questions for which you need answers from your doctor. But what if you are told that your diagnosis was actually delayed or missed for a period of time? You will be even more upset, angry and distressed.

We do understand how let down you feel by your doctors and how angry you must be feeling that your prognosis has potentially been affected by your misdiagnosis. We can help you to understand if you are able to make a claim for medical negligence and help you to receive compensation.

What is bowel cancer?

Bowel cancer can either be cancer which is located in the large bowel or the small bowel, but small bowel cancer is much less common. The large bowel is made up of the colon and the rectum. Almost 70% of large bowel cancers develop in the colon and the remaining 30% develop in the rectum. 

The treatment of bowel cancer has a much better chance of be effective if it is given as early as possible. Being misdiagnosed can mean the difference between surviving bowel cancer and not and this is the reason why you should consider making a claim for medical negligence if your diagnosis has been missed or delayed. 

What are the symptoms of bowel cancer?

The symptoms of bowel cancer are:

• Blood in your stools
• Weight loss
• Pain in your stomach
• More frequent passing of stools
• Diarrhoea
• Constipation

Sometimes there are no symptoms at all, but bowel cancer which has not been detected can cause other issues. If there is bleeding from the bowel it can cause anaemia and fatigue or there could be a blockage in the bowel, which can be extremely serious.

What happens next?

If you would like to discuss your potential medical negligence claim then please call us free today. One of our solicitors will then go through with you in detail the treatment and advice (or lack of it) that you were given by your doctors prior to the correct diagnosis being made so that we can then give you our opinion as to whether your treating doctors were negligent. As with all cases where there has been a failure to diagnose, information as to exactly when this treatment and advice was given is likely to be crucial

We can help you to be clear about your legal position and where you stand. We will be able to guide you through the whole process of making a claim and we will ensure that you understand this by using easy to understand language and no legal jargon.

There are different ways available to you to fund a claim (for example, no win, no fee) and we will discuss each of these with you. We will be able to offer you advice on which one will provide you with the best outcome.

We offer all of our potential clients a free initial consultation so we can discuss all of the things we need to cover with you and to also make sure that you are comfortable with us representing you. You will not be under any obligation to make a claim thereafter. 

For more information or to speak to one of our friendly team for your free initial consultation, please call 0117 239 8012 or complete our online enquiry form.

Key contacts

Zoom Cpp Snapshot

Ince Metcalfes raises £700 for Cerebral Palsy Plus Charity

March 02, 2021

Ince Metcalfes' Clinical Negligence team hosted a charity quiz night for Cerebral Palsy Plus (CPP); a Bristol-based charity working with children and adults with Cerebral Palsy, their families and the...

Bd Medical Negligence

Why do medical negligence claims take so long?

July 21, 2017

At the outset of any medical negligence claim, whether against a hospital trust, a private surgeon, a GP or a dentist, the solicitor conducting the case on behalf of the Claimant should provide their ...

Sepsis Logo Final

SEPSIS - A delay in diagnosis

August 07, 2018

In England there are around 123,000 cases of sepsis a year with around 37,000 patients sadly passing away as a result of the condition. Source NHS UK. Early treatment has proven to be critical to figh...

arrowarrow-leftburgerLarge M Inc BD Logo - transparentchevroncloseUntitled-2iconmonstr-facebook-6 (1)tick