Change of Name

There are many reasons why people may wish to change their name or the name of their child. Whilst you cannot change a birth certificate you can change how you are known by the authorities and organisations.

Changing an Adults Name

If you are an adult and wish to change your own name, we can prepare a Change of Name Deed for you for a fixed fee of £100 plus VAT.  This will satisfy all authorities and organisations including the passport agency and DVLA. 

Changing a Child’s Name

If you are aged between 16 and 18 you can sign your own Change of Name Deed without needing any parental consent.

If the child is under 16 and you are the only person with Parental Responsibility for them, we can prepare a Change of Name Deed which you can sign on your child’s behalf. 

If the other parent also has Parental Responsibility then the Change of Name Deed has to be signed by both of you as you cannot change the child’s name without the other parent’s consent.

If the other parent will not consent to the name change and you firmly believe it is right for the child then we can advise you about making an application to court for a Specific Issue Order that the child’s name be changed.  The court will only make such an order if they are satisfied that it is in the child’s best interests. 

This is a complex area of the law and each case will turn on its own facts.  We will provide clear advice on the merits of any proposed name change application and represent you through the court proceedings where appropriate.

Contact our team of expert family solicitors to discuss your needs. Call our team on 0117 929 0451 or email.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • My children never see their father, can I change their surname?

    Changes of surname need to be made with the consent of everyone who has Parental Responsibility.  If the father does not consent, you will have to apply to the court.  The courts are often reluctant to allow name changes and you would need to show it was in the child’s best interests and that their welfare would be improved by the change.  The courts will consider the Welfare Checklist and place significant importance on maintaining the link with the father and his wider family by the use of the name.  Only in very specific and extreme circumstances will they allow the name to be changed completely.  Double barrelled names are likely to be considered more favourably by the courts.

Team members

arrowarrow-leftburgerLarge M Inc BD Logo - transparentchevroncloseUntitled-2iconmonstr-facebook-6 (1)tick